It’s official. We finally have the “confirmed” dates for the movers to arrive and pack and load and deliver. Twenty-eight days until a moving company pulls up armed with tape, boxes, paper, bubble wrap…..Lee heads down in a few days, but we aren’t closing up Chicago until the end of the month. (PS-This also means it’s twenty days until our second year graduate student is here for five days until he heads back for that final push towards the pink hood!)
Yes, I’m starting to get excited about being so close to family, doctors, the beach, the mountains, lower COL, and also being able to get Newks anytime I want it….but as I have said…it’s bittersweet.
So, today, a post of “Favorite Things” so that I will always be able to look back and recall the things I did fall in love with during our Chicagoland adventure.
- Lake Michigan It’s truly magnificent. Chicago side is great, in that you have the center of what makes Chicago who she is, right there. Yet, I have to say…the Michigan side, well, it’s breathtaking. The sound that reminds you of the waves crashing ashore at any beach in America….the blue tint to the water….the wind coming off of the lake reminding you of the trade winds at a “ocean” beach….when I needed moments of refreshment, Lake Michigan often was what the doctor ordered.
- Chicago Mix Popcorn Ok, y’all. This is some good stuff. Garrett’s is the name everyone knows, but I grew to love Kernel’s the most. Caramel goodness mixed with cheese goodness…..yummy. I learned Atlanta has a Garrett’s. Sometimes, you just need popcorn.
- Willow Creek Community Church I cannot even begin to put into words what this church, teachings under Bill Hybel and Steve Carter, the mission, the awe of the Care Center..well…what they have done for this messed up heart of mine. I think in ten years I will look back at the time at WC and know that is likely the biggest reason God moved us here in the first place…it was never the reason we thought. This church does Jesus well….actually….it does Jesus exceedingly well. Things I will take with me from WC: Baptism Day, “Dear Me,” “Love Everyone, Always,” and a congregation that resembled the world around me. I’m forever changed because of my time at Willow Creek.
- Going along with number three, it has to be the zany, mismatched-yet perfectly matched, group that we have as our small group. I have seen Christianity and Jesus modeled in ways that have forever changed me. I look back to my little self when they first took us in and wonder why in the world they invited me….but..I’m so glad they did. Lee and I have grown to love this group and will miss being part of the gatherings…although, I have suggested we do Skype small groups.
- Chicago Summer Summer in Chicago is short, but magical. Everything around you is in full bloom, showing off daily. I’ll never get over 85 degrees being “a scorcher of a day.”
- Downtown Naperville
- Downtown Geneva
- The way Chicago showed me the melting pot of America, working together.
- Finally, because I’m pulling a Letterman and stopping at a Top Ten….the people. Chicagoland, you are an area full of some of the kindest people one could ever hope to meet. You are a shining star in our Nation..even if it’s not always reported. You do people well….to the people of Lee’s company here and the wives that reached out to me along the way….you are the best of the best.
So, there it is. My ten favorite things about Chicagoland. This is just a “see you later” as the paths will cross again….open doors remain all around me.
Thanks for letting this “Bless Her Heart” girl find her way….guiding her along her broken glass path…..you are forever loved. (Even though you did welcome us week one with a blizzard.)